Become a Driver
Want to be a private hire driver?
Cheap Cabs offers full training to help you become a private hire driver.
There are 2 ways of joining the industry as an owner driver or as a driver, you may also wish to work full time or on a casual basis/weekends. You can use your own car/ van or hire a company vehicle.
To become a private hire driver you need a passenger endorsement on your license. To get an endorsement you need to have held a full licence for 2 years, no medical conditions that affect professional driving, and no major criminal or driving convictions.
- Medical certificate (driving)
- Pass a full driving test (if not tested in the past 5 years)
- Pass a passenger theory test
- Land transport vetting
- Pass Auckland metro area knowledge
- Cost $ 580.00 plus study books (Finance available)
- WINZ subsidies maybe available
Owner driverOwner drivers require a passenger endorsement as laid out above, and a passenger service licence.
- No major criminal convictions
- Pass a theory test in relation to owning and operating a small passenger vehicle
- Cost $ 570.00 (Finance available)
NB: Both driving and owners licences can be done at the same time
All our training is done by our in house training partner.
How it works:
If you have your own vehicle you pay Cheap Cabs / Shuttle Savers 15% of value of jobs you are given. Our fares are GST (inclusive if any) so if you have an income of under $60,000 per annum you do not have to be GST registered.
What sort of Car can I use:
You can use any Make of vehicle as long as it is no older than 15 years, is large enough to comfortably carry 4 or more passengers.
Your Vehicle requires a COF (the commercial version of a WOF)
As your Vehicle will be operating as a commercial vehicle you will need suitable insurance.
Contact Us now!PHONE
EMAIL with your name and any questions you have and we will get straight back to you.