Become a Driver - Cheap Cabs

Become a Driver

Want to be a private hire driver?

Cheap Cabs offers full training to help you become a private hire driver.
There are 2 ways of joining the industry as an owner driver or as a driver, you may also wish to work full time or on a casual basis/weekends. You can use your own car/ van or hire a company vehicle.


To become a private hire driver you need a passenger endorsement on your license. To get an endorsement you need to have held a full licence for 2 years, no medical conditions that affect professional driving, and no major criminal or driving convictions.

  • Medical certificate (driving)
  • Pass a full driving test (if not tested in the past 5 years)
  • Pass a passenger theory test
  • Land transport vetting
  • Pass Auckland metro area knowledge
  • Cost $ 580.00 plus study books (Finance available)
  • WINZ subsidies maybe available
Time frame for processing (land transport) 6 to 8 weeks Drivers can work on a casual basis and earn up to $20 per hour of driving or can hire a vehicle and earn greater income. To hire a vehicle a driver requires a passenger service licence also.

Owner driver

Owner drivers require a passenger endorsement as laid out above, and a passenger service licence.

  • No major criminal convictions
  • Pass a theory test in relation to owning and operating a small passenger vehicle
  • Cost $ 570.00 (Finance available)
Time frame for processing (land transport) 6 to 8 weeks.
NB: Both driving and owners licences can be done at the same time
All our training is done by our in house training partner.

How it works:
If you have your own vehicle you pay Cheap Cabs / Shuttle Savers 15% of value of jobs you are given. Our fares are GST (inclusive if any) so if you have an income of under $60,000 per annum you do not have to be GST registered.

What sort of Car can I use:

You can use any Make of vehicle as long as it is no older than 15 years, is large enough to comfortably carry 4 or more passengers.
Your Vehicle requires a COF (the commercial version of a WOF)
As your Vehicle will be operating as a commercial vehicle you will need suitable insurance.

Contact Us now!

EMAIL with your name and any questions you have and we will get straight back to you.